Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Rejecting Jesus

I rejected an offer from Jesus today and I’m wondering if it was a big mistake. Do I have too much pride? Do I cling too much to my worldly stuff to accept his offer with humility? Do I put too much value on insignificant things? Oh, Lord, help me see through my greed.

Honestly, I got an e-mail from Jesus, sent at 3:15 this morning on my seldom-used AOL account. I guess Jesus doesn’t sleep like most folks. Or perhaps he’s in a different time zone. Nonetheless, it was a simple message: “30 for the drum. Jesus.” Jesus was a tad curt, wasn’t he? No pleasant greeting, no parables, no mention of blessings or peace be with you. It took a while for it to sink in with me. I thought of all the times I prayed, telling the Lord that I just didn’t understand his will. And now here was a cryptic message from him and still I wasn’t quite sure what he meant about the drum and was it 30 days and 30 nights? And I never imagined I would hear directly from Jesus on e-mail. I thought he was more of a voice-coming-from-the-clouds sort of guy.

Don’t expect me to admit that I’m having visions or that I’ve developed stigmatas in my hands. Lest you think this is some sort of indiscernible message from the real Jesus, let me offer an explanation. I have a djembe (a tribal drum from West Africa) for sale on Craig’s List. Some guy named Jesus was offering me a mere $30 for the drum that is a huge bargain at the $65 listed price.

I told Jesus no, I appreciated his offer, but it just wasn’t enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment