Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Anti VD campaign



Put me firmly on the team that is anti-Valentine's Day. The fact that it can be abbreviated VD is not a coincidence.

In grade school we had a huge box at the front on the room on VD. It was the Baby Boom and it was a Catholic school and there could be over 70 kids in one classroom. Those poor nuns! Honestly, I'm not exaggerating. Everyone would stuff their valentine cards in the box. Until we got into the upper grades, almost everyone in the class brought in cards addressed to almost everyone else in the class. While the cute, popular kids got the full complement of cards, there were a few unfortunate outcasts who got only a handful. People like Joe R. who once smeared snot on my arm. Or Christine M. who sat on the girls' room floor in a puddle of her own urine. In 5th grade. No one sent them cards saying "U R a Q T please B my Valentine."

Donna X. totally gets Joe R. and Christine M. now. In years past I used to get valentines. Occasionally I got flowers. This year I didn't get any cards or any flowers. My mother wished me happy VD when she called me in a panic because the retirement place where she lives lost her monthly payment.

So in honor of this non-event I bought a can of red paint to paint a piece of furniture. The fumes are getting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment