Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Grieving with hope

Can I just be a really sappy Christian and say how much I love the Bible? Just humor me please. Check this out:

"But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope." 1 Thessalonians 4:13.

This isn't new; I know I've read it before. But just like everything else in the Bible (yes, even including the seemingly boring geneaological lists and the stories about people smiting other people with mighty armies) a verse may just slip through my brain at one time and at another time it seems to jump off the page. Today it was this verse from Thessalonians that jumped off the page and soothed my heart. Yes, I'm grieving the recent loss of my father, my brother, and my dear friend Mike. But faith in God, the belief that Jesus died for our salvation, changes everything. In Christ there is hope. Christians don't have to grieve like others who have no hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment