Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chicken again!

My late former husband used to mutter and grumble when he came home and I had made yet another chicken dish. "Chicken!" he would shout, "not chicken again." Yes, it's chicken again. So I hesitate to post the recipe. I think it's incredibly delicious but it could ruin my reputation. Not only is it chicken (again!) but it's another casserole and it has canned soup in the ingredient list. It's a recipe that my dear friend Betsy got years ago when she lived in Flagstaff. I've altered it (improved it, I'd like to think) over the years. So consider my reputation ruined but try it anyway.

Chicken Tortilla Casserole

4 tablespoons olive oil
3 boneless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons chili powder (I used Penzey’s Southwest seasoning)
½ cup white wine
1 onion, chopped
1 sweet red pepper, cut into julienne strips
2 cloves minced garlic
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
¼ cup sliced black olives
2 small cans whole green chilies, coarsely chopped
½ teaspoon cumin
1 dozen corn tortillas, cut into quarters
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
Salsa verde

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in non-stick skillet. Sprinkle chicken breasts with Southwest Seasoning and sauté over medium-high heat until brown. Pour wine in pan, cover, and cook over low-medium heat until chicken breasts are no longer pink. Set chicken aside and shred into large pieces after they cool slightly.

Sauté onion, red pepper, and garlic in remaining oil. Remove from heat and add soup, chicken broth, sour cream, olives, green chilies, and cumin.

Put about ½ cup of sauce mixture in bottom of a deep casserole dish. Put four tortillas (=16 pieces) in a layer in the casserole. Add more sauce and chicken in two more layers until casserole is filled. End with layer of cheese on top.

Bake 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese is bubbly.

Serve with extra salsa verde on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment