Sunday, October 22, 2017

Fierce

Okay, this is just between the two of us. You have to promise not to let anyone else see this monstrosity. I'm letting you see the photo of me with a bald head.

There is a bit of a story behind this. If you've been reading this blog, you know that I have hair issues. I have alopecia, an autoimmune condition that causes hair loss. It sucks. Through visits to multiple doctors I've had blood work and skin biopsies, only to find there is no cure. My hair has disappeared in ugly chunks. And just to make things a bit more lively, a recent skin biopsy on the top of my head showed that I have squamous cell cancer on my scalp that requires surgery. Because my hair was falling out, and because I need to have my scalp surgically messed up, I initiated a pre-emptive strike and got a buzz cut. Chris, a guy I'd marry if he wasn't already married, cut my hair (#2 clipper guard) and pronounced that I looked "fierce". Fierce is better than pitiful, better than helpless or sad or whiny. The photo is my attempt to put on a fierce face just after my head was shorn. To me it seems more the look of a woman who is leaning toward angry resignation when she would rather be fierce. What expression do you imagine Joan of Arc had as her captors lit the fire about to consume her?

The fierce phase has not been fiercely executed. I wander from fierceness to shame, days spent in hiding. For several weeks I have done what I call Mass for Shut-Ins--watching the Sunday church service on the Internet. But today I went to the morning service with a hat on. The hat got hot. I went to see my mother after church, refusing to remove the hat. I forewarned her, but she didn't really understand until she saw it. My mother saw my head a couple of weeks ago, screamed, and said, "I can't stand looking at you!" Nice. Now the hat stays on, no matter how much she begs me to see my head. This condition doesn't work well with my mother's obsession with appearance. Her obsession with hair is pathological. How ironic that she would get me as a daughter.

Tonight I went back to church for the 5 p.m. service. I took my hat off in the car because I was just too doggone hot. Still feeling the shame, I sat in a dark spot in the last pew in the church, rows away from anyone else. Alex, one of our pastors, came up to me in my hiding place in the back and asked me to do the wine at communion. I sucked air, said I was trying to hide my bald head in the back. He was going to let me off the hook. But, in an uncommon burst of courage, I said, "No! I'll do it. There's no better time or place to be bold."

Yes, I did it. I held my bald head high and walked to the front, under the bright lights for all the world to see. And I did feel emboldened, like God could see me and He still loves me. Giving up the deceit, the hiding, the fear and literally letting myself be seen with a flaw that humiliates me, has set me free. Only through the grace of God could this have happened, in His house, in His time. I may still lose confidence on occasion, I may waver between fierceness and shame, but fierce feels better.

6 comments:

  1. How nice it is to finally "meet" you. I have been following this blog for almost six years and I love your great writing and skillful storytelling.
    I am truly sorry about the squamous cell cancer on your scalp. I pray everything goes well and wish you a complete and speedy recovery.
    By the way,you do look fierce in that picture...

    Best wishes, Ms Xander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please call me Donna! Thanks for thinking I look fierce. (I can't believe you've been following my blog for 6 years--you are amazing.) I still don't feel fierce, but I'm working on it. Head to be buzzed again this week and the Mohs surgery next week. Onward . . .

      Delete
    2. We would love to know how you have been doing after the surgery ...

      Delete
    3. Doing okay. The crater on my head is healing slowly. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  2. You are brave and you are loved by the God of the universe. What a wonderful God he is. Your eyes say much about the pain you have experienced in life. I know that God has a wonderful plan for you. Keep moving forward. Writing here and inspiring your readers to move forward too...brave and courageous.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your encouragement. I do know that I am loved by the Lord and my heart overflows with gratitude for that. What His plan is will be discovered in time, I suppose. Patience is not one of my strongest virtues. But still, if I must wait, then that is what I will do. Hopefully growing stronger in the waiting. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete