Monday, January 2, 2017

Enneagram

My daughter-in-law and my dear friend Claire are both Enneagram enthusiasts. I was skeptical, thought it too new agey, perhaps a little woo-woo. Then, at Claire's suggestion, I took an online test to determine my personality type and bought a book about Enneagrams. ("The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types" by Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson.) Actually, I have read only part of the book, especially the part that pertains to my type. If you understand Enneagrams, you'll say, "Of course, she did. I could have predicted that." No longer am I scoffing about the classification. It totally nailed me--I'm a type 4 with a 5 wing. (So is Thomas Merton, so I'm in good company.) It was so humbling to read my flaws laid out so clearly. Ouch!

And to add fuel to the fire, I took a Myers Briggs test and it says I am an INFP. I don't really understand that either, but apparently it is in agreement with the Enneagram test. I'm doomed. (You knew I would say that.)

I get an emailed Enneagram thought for the day. This is what is says today and I'm feeling a bit less doomed:

Type Four EnneaThought for January 2nd
Today accept your invitation to abundance: to let go of the past and be renewed by your experiences. It is your True Nature to be forgiving and to use everything in your life for your growth and renewal. (The Wisdom of the Enneagram, 48)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Ms Xander. I took the test and have the results already. However, I am confused about the "wing" part ... May I ask you how you were able to determine that you have a 5 wing? Thanks in advance.
    Wishing you a blessed and peaceful 2017 ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am far, far from an expert on this. But my understanding is each person has a tendency to go to the type on either side of their main type. It was easy for me because when I took the test, my first on the list was a four and my second was a five--so I'm a four with a five wing. So, for example, if you're a seven your wing will be wither six or eight. But do some reading and see if my understanding is correct--this is all new to me.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for answering. I've just received the following from Enneagram:

      "Enneagram Test Results

      You are most likely a type 6.

      Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 6w5."

      I am going to try and take the Myers Briggs test too.


      Delete