Monday, July 16, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies (oh, no!)

It was innocent. I swear. I was online looking for a recipe, thinking that it would be interesting to make muffins with bacon in them. I confess that I have a considerable number of food weaknesses and bacon is near the top of the list. A bacon, avocado, and Swiss cheese sandwich (on cheddar cheese bread) might be my request for a final meal. Oh, heart be still. That sandwich could be enough to still a weak heart.

So, I’m amusing myself by searching for bacon muffin recipes when I find an online bakery called The Baconery (http://baconery.com). Seriously, it’s a bakery that puts bacon in everything—bacon apple pie, bacon brownies, chocolate peanut butter bacon cookies. They actually combine peanut butter cookies (which I love!), chocolate (which I love!), and bacon (I already told you I love bacon) into a single food item? That made me search for a recipe for chocolate peanut butter bacon cookies. It was too easy—right there on the Food Network. Note that I am giving you this recipe without testing it. Consider it virtual testing. I’m afraid to make these cookies because I can almost guarantee that I’ll love them and then I won’t even fit into my fat jeans. Please let me know if they are good. On second thought, I don’t want to know.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of chipotle or ancho chile powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
5 strips bacon (1/3 pound)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup roughly chopped honey- roasted peanuts
1/3 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, chile powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; reserve 2 tablespoons of the drippings and set aside to cool. Crumble the bacon, discarding* any chewy bits.

Beat the butter and reserved bacon drippings in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Beat in the peanut butter until combined, about 1 minute. Beat in the granulated and light brown sugar until creamy, about 4 minutes, then add the egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.

Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the flour mixture in 2 additions, scraping down the bowl as needed, until just combined. Stir in the peanuts and all but 2 tablespoons each of the chocolate chips and bacon.

Form the dough into 12 balls and arrange 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten with your fingers (the cookies will not spread in the oven); press the reserved bacon and chocolate chips on top. Bake until golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let the cookies cool 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.


(*Are these people crazy—why would anyone discard the chewy bits of bacon? That’s so wasteful.)

No comments:

Post a Comment