Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicken salad for Anna

Anna! My sister said she sees you occasionally at church and that recently you said you remembered my chicken tarragon salad. I think of chicken salad as something that I make only when the weather gets warmer. And that will be soon so thank you for reminding me about the recipe.

I would love to see you!

This is a recipe that I've changed and refined over time. I don't think I ever make it the same way twice but this is a basic version.

Chicken Salad With Artichokes and Tarragon

3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
32 ounce carton chicken broth
½ cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
1 cup celery, cut into julienne strips
1 tablespoon dried tarragon
Salt and pepper to taste
6½ ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped

Place chicken breasts in single layer in a large pot.
Add just enough chicken broth (add water or white wine, if necessary) to cover chicken. Heat to simmer, cover, and cook very gently for about 10 minutes, until no longer pink. Remove from heat and allow chicken to cool in liquid for 20 minutes.
When chicken has cooled, break into bite-sized pieces.
Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, celery, tarragon, and salt and pepper.
Pour over chicken, add artichokes, and blend gently.
Refrigerate for 4-6 hours before serving.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment