Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chicken couscous


We're in the depths of winter--frigid just like it's supposed to be in January. It only means we're that much closer to spring. I haven't been to the farm market for a few weeks--our fabulous outdoor local farm market that stays open all through the winter. I love their undaunted spirit and I am determined to go this weekend, maybe see what I can find to make lentil soup . . . or perhaps it's a good time for couscous.

I have no idea where I got this chicken couscous recipe in the beginning. It has been revised so many times I'm not sure the original would be recognizable. Every time I make it I change things--different vegetables or dried fruit, variations in spices, maybe a different sausage. But still, no matter what the variations, it's warm and satisfying on a cold day.

Chicken Couscous

1 can (32 oz) whole tomatoes
¼ cup olive oil
3 cloves chopped garlic
2 medium chopped onions
2 – 3 baking potatoes, washed, cut into ½ inch chunks with skin on
2 carrots cut into ½ inch chunks
½ bottle beer
½ cup dried sweetened cranberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Simmer uncovered in large pot until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 45 minutes.

Add:

4 chicken breasts—precooked and broken into large chunks
1 pound hot sausage (I use chicken or turkey andouille) cooked and cut into slices
1 can (16 oz) garbanzo beans
½ cup sliced calamata olives

Simmer 20-30 minutes.

Cook 1 package couscous and serve chicken mixture over couscous.

Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment