Friday, January 21, 2011

More food therapy

It's cold outside and I needed something warm and comforting but I didn't feel like cooking. That's why God created freezers. Opened the freezer and--like a miracle--there were a couple of containers of this soup that I made and froze weeks ago. Thank God for creating the microwave also--instant dinner, no fuss, no mess.

I love this soup. I got the recipe from my daughter Jenny (the mother of my precious twin granddaughters). Jenny takes care of those girls and works and cooks and seems to do everything so well. Isn't it great when we get recipes from our children? Apparently she adapted it from a Rachael Ray recipe. Now I have it and you have it. It's relatively easy, healthy, kid-friendly, and the best antidote to a cold day in January. I added sauteed mushrooms to the latest batch. Nice!

Double Dumpling Chicken Soup

2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
4 celery ribs - chopped
2 med. onions - chopped
2 medium carrots - chopped
1/2 to 1 cup shredded carrots
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken stock
1 pound ground chicken (I used ground white-meat turkey)
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 package gnocchi (I used whole wheat gnocchi from Trader Joe's)
1 cup frozen peas

Heat the olive oid in a soup pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the veggies and cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock, cover, and bring to a gentle boil. While the stock heats, place the chicken in a bowl and add the garlic, nutmeg, egg, bread crumbs, and cheese. Combine the mixture and roll into walnut-size meatballs and add to the soup. Cook for 2-4 minutes, then add the gnocchi to the pot and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until they float. Add the peas and cook for 2 minutes longer. Turn the heat off and allow it to stand for 5 minutes to cool and thicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment